Homemade Truffles with Variations (Vegan!)
These truffles are rich and creamy and perfect for the holidays. The secret ingredient: cashews blended with water to serve as a cream substitute. I got the basic recipe from the Food.com website, then grabbed flavouring ideas from another website and put it all together.
When making several flavours, I like to make a big batch at once and pour the plain chocolate into separate containers before adding the extracts. It saves time and effort in the long run. Feel free to experiment with different extracts, alcohols, nuts and other goodies. Just keep in mind that too much extra liquid will interfere with how the chocolate sets.
- 3/4 cup of raw, unsalted cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate
- cocoa powder or any of the following: coloured sugar, sprinkles, icing sugar, chopped nuts
- flavourings (optional: see below recipe)
- Add the water and cashews in a blender, and blend at high speed for about 2 minutes. We want a thick and smooth mixture that resembles heavy cream. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat the chocolate in a double-boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, add water to a large pan and fit a smaller pan inside it. We’ll use the smaller pot to melt the chocolate. If we heat it directly, it will burn.
- Let the chocolate cool until it seems easy to work with. Slowly fold in the cashew cream.
- If making flavoured truffles, add the extract, alcohol or chopped nuts/fruit now.
- Add the mixture to a container and allow the chocolate to set in the fridge, a minimum of two hours.
- Once the chocolate has set, remove from the fridge and roll into balls. Roll each ball in the cocoa powder, sprinkles or whatever else you’re using. Repeat until finished.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
- Chocolate mint: Add 2 tsp peppermind extract. Roll in crushed candy canes or icing sugar.
- Chocolate rum: Add 2 tbsp. rum. Roll in chocolate sprinkles
- Tropical Cherry: Add 2 tsp cherry extract, 1/2 cup chopped glace cherries plus 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Roll in shredded coconut.
- Double chocolate: Melt some white chocolate or milk chocolate in a pan and dip half the truffle into it. Top with a cherry, coffee bean, or nut.
To add to chocolate:
- 2 tsp oils/extracts such as orange, peppermint, chilli oil, coconut, banana
- 2 tbsp alcohol such as amaretto, rum, coconut liqueur, cherry liqueur
- 2 tbsp espresso
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, such as pistachio, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fruit
To roll chocolate in:
- coloured sugar
- chocolate or coloured sprinkles
- chopped nuts, any kind
- powders: cocoa powder, icing sugar, espresso powder, hot chocolate powder
- crushed candycane
- crushed cookies: oreos might be interesting
- grated orange zest or chopped peel
- shredded coconut
- grated chocolate
I receive compliments every time I make these. I love the flexibility of the recipe. It can be time consuming and messy to make several flavours at once; however, it’s totally worth it.
What kind of truffles do you like?